Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My 'sworn' friend

I don't like signals. And I love wading through allies.

It was a rainy day...rather a rainy night. I was riding through one such dark ally and there he was. We just passed by, hardly noticing each other. Our first tryst... not so intriguing though.

The next day I took the acute turn into the same ally. I was humming something or may be thinking of something about work (damn!). And I saw him. He was looking directly at me, ready in a stance with bloodshot eyes. Grinding his teeth, breathing heavily. I was taken aback but I continued riding, still staring at him. He kept watching me he waited he gauged and then ... and then he barked. He charged madly. I panicked, shrinked my legs. I revved up the bike cursing him under my breath.

Consecutive days were no different nonetheless with more intensity. Over these days he got better at estimating my trajectory and I got better at dodging him, curving around him, racing the bike at the right time. But one day, I don't remember how I missed him. He was more of a camouflage behind a brown tree trunk. He darted precisely and almost reached my pants. But astonishingly he didn't even try to touch me. It was a sudden revelation - "a barking dog never bites".

From that day I have a relationship. Every other day he does the honors and I relish it. Now I just lift my leg when he comes along barking. Ironically I never thought a dog would make me lift my leg. It's more like I blow him a "goodbye kick".

Even in day time when I pass the ally and don't see him I think of him...there dwells my 'sworn' friend.

2 comments:

Varun said...

I jumped few links and landed on your blog and really liked the post.

What will happen if you stop in front of him and do nothing?
Or may be feed him with some biscuits?

Unknown said...

oh... I won't dare do that. Remember he was my 'sworn' friend. :)